Registry Error Fix ModemHelp.Net Recommends: Click here to run a Free driver update scan

Forums.ModemHelp.Net 
     RegisterRegister  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in    
Forums.ModemHelp.Net Forum Index » Windows Issues This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
ERROR 678!!!!!!!!!!! View previous topic :: View next topic
 Page 1 of 1      

Aerofan Reply with quote

PostPosted: 10-07-2004 02:22 PM    Post subject: ERROR 678!!!!!!!!!!!
We all know that this error number afects a lot of people. Please, I need a string for this type of modem:

1- Intel
2- Conexant
3- HSP
4- US Robotics
5- Agere
6- Lucent
7- And the generic modems....(Genecric, Standar....does kind of modems).

Thanks to anyone who will help....

Patrick Reply with quote

PostPosted: 10-08-2004 11:53 AM    Post subject:
http://www.modemhelp.net/quickref.shtml

Aerofan Reply with quote

PostPosted: 10-08-2004 04:46 PM    Post subject:
Does don't work...belive me. Modemhelp.net is good but the strings her do not work....

Geek Reply with quote

PostPosted: 03-11-2005 01:32 PM    Post subject: here are the strings you needed
normally modem drivers, or those numbers may onle be setup for v.34, k56flex.whatever...anyway yuo could also try s32=32, s32=34, or s32=66

CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jatinmehta Reply with quote

PostPosted: 03-12-2005 02:07 AM    Post subject: error 678
This msg really takes life out of us man!!!!
but i have done a lot of research on it and following are the troubleshooting steps in sequence which resolves "error 678" 99.99% of times:

1) If using external modem-->>turn off the modem>>unplug all the cables coming out of it<<unplug ethernet cable from the tower(C.P.U) as well and swap the ends of it..means the end which was previously going to modem shud go to computer now and vice versa..

2) go to control panel<<double click SYSTEM icon<<if using win xp(need to go to classic view in control panel)<<now click hardware tab(or device mngr)at the top<<under device mansge one may see network adapters<<expand network adapters by clicking on the + sign next to it<<if a red X or a yellow ? or ! can be seen in front of your network adapter that means the network adapter is disabled (if red x--->>right click and click enable and this will resolve the problem) or if a yellow ? or ! can be seen in front of your network adapter that means either drivers for the network adapter are corrupted or not installed properly so gotta reinstall them..

3) check for browser settings if using internet explorer---click tools at the top>>internet options>>click connections tab and under that make sure if you are using any connection except dial up connection the first radio button that says never dial a connection is clicked<<then click on lan settings button and under lan settings window make ure if you are not usinf any router all the boxes should be unchecked

4) If this doesn't works then only one thing is left(but make sure you perform all the previous steps before this)--->>"if using win xp"--->>click start>>all programs>>accessories>>system tools>>system restore>>chose the radio button which says restore my computer to an earlier time>>click next>>JUST THINK OF THE LAST TIME WHEN YOUR CONNECTION WAS UP AND RUNNING and chose nearest possible date in the calender>>click next and follow the instruction and 99 times out of 100 this would resolve error 678...

Cheers mates

Jatin Mehta
Technical Support Officer
SBC Internet Services
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

joe15003 Reply with quote

PostPosted: 03-12-2005 12:50 PM    Post subject:
try that stuff above this post ^^^^^^^^^^^

If you still need a string i use: +MS=V34

jennifer424 Reply with quote

PostPosted: 03-15-2005 06:41 AM    Post subject:
On a general rule of thumb you can try putting in commas for 678 in the number. You can also set the port speed to your modem a speed lower than what it is right now. You can lower the buffers in your modem. You can also give it a generic string atz or try ats+ms=v34. The atz is the modem string I give most of the customers having problems with no answer.

~ Jennifer

chris6942 Reply with quote

PostPosted: 03-16-2005 03:45 PM    Post subject:
I'm also particularly fond of the simple AT&F&C1&D2+ms=v90,0 seems to work the most for our customers. Try all of the listed fixes, plus deleting and recreating the dialer, and ensuring that the pop site you are dialing is functioning.

CrashVector Reply with quote

PostPosted: 12-01-2005 04:45 AM    Post subject: Nope
the problem with all these init strings is that they may allow your modem to connect, but it will connect at a MUCH lower speed than it is capable of.

For example, I have 2 USR modems...a USR5660A and a USR5610B(perf. pro)

The USR5660A will connect at 46-48kbps with no problems, which obviously means it is using V.92 to connect

When I try using the USR5610b, I get the 678 error unless I limit the connect speed to 24.4 kbps, in which case it will connect.

This is NOT a problem with my computer or the ISP. It is a problem with the MODEM itself. Using an INIT string to limit the connect speed is stupid, especially when you consider the fact that V92 dialup is already slow as it is...why would you purposefully make it even SLOWER?

In other words, it doesnt actually fix the REAL problem.

nagagamisis Reply with quote

PostPosted: 01-04-2006 01:45 AM    Post subject:
I have a USR5610b as well. I flashed it to the latest firmware and now it will take anywheres up to 20 attempts before it will connect, all the errors are the same **678**. When I was using the v90 firmware I could connect up to 34k now if I'm lucky I will connect at 26k with the v92 firmware.

What gives?
Can I flash to an earlier firmware, if so where do I find it as USR's site only lists the V92?

Notes
I use Bell Sympatico dialing a Barrie Ontario number, distance to Barrie 50km.
Since this area ran out of lines or numbers back 2 or 3 years ago that Bell is using SLIC to increase the quantity of lines available.

Help

Happy New Year to all

nagagamisis Reply with quote

PostPosted: 01-04-2006 01:54 AM    Post subject:
Additional note to above

I had no problems connecting with my 5610b before I flashed to that damned V92 firmware.

Thanks

ERROR 678!!!!!!!!!!! View previous topic :: View next topic
 Page 1 of 1