Registry Error Fix ModemHelp.Net Recommends: Click here to run a Free driver update scan

Forums.ModemHelp.Net 
     RegisterRegister  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in    
Forums.ModemHelp.Net Forum Index » Windows Issues This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Modem String testing? View previous topic :: View next topic
 Page 1 of 1      

Amazing Rando Reply with quote

PostPosted: 02-12-2007 10:02 PM    Post subject: Modem String testing?
Without Hyperterminal and apparently no way to enable a pre-dial terminal screen (unless I'm totally deft and missed it) has anyone figured out how to test various Modem init strings before putting them into the settings?

buds Reply with quote

PostPosted: 02-14-2007 10:39 PM    Post subject:
do you mean if you want to change the modem strings??
if so, you go to control panel, there is a link saying switch to classic view, then look for phone and modem options, select the modem tab, then select the type of modem you wish to edit, then click properties, make sure to click change preferrences button beofre you do any changes otherwise, it won't let you do anything on it
..i hope i have given you the info that you want??

buds Reply with quote

PostPosted: 02-14-2007 10:45 PM    Post subject:
buds wrote:
do you mean if you want to change the modem strings??
if so, you go to control panel, there is a link saying switch to classic view, then look for phone and modem options, select the modem tab, then select the type of modem you wish to edit, then click properties, make sure to click change preferrences button beofre you do any changes otherwise, it won't let you do anything on it
..i hope i have given you the info that you want??

-sorry i think i got your question incorrectly, hyperterm is i guess restricted in vista, so what u can do is use trial and error method for modem strings, just play with it, treat vista as xp mixed with mac and linux

Amazing Rando Reply with quote

PostPosted: 02-14-2007 10:48 PM    Post subject:
Poop. This is going to make my life in my IT department a lot more complicated.

Hopefully a service pack will re-add the pre-dial terminal screen option back at least.

buds Reply with quote

PostPosted: 02-14-2007 11:16 PM    Post subject:
there's more when it comes to vista work-your-way-around the system, annoyances but i guess we'll get used to it too. im pertty much annoyed with this one though;command prompt has changed in the fact that there are now different levels of access. You need to “run as administrator” to be able to access commands like “ipconfig” fully. i will also share additional vista info as soon i get my copy at home sometime this week

Webmaster Reply with quote

PostPosted: 02-15-2007 06:37 PM    Post subject:
Hyperterminal is gone. Sad See:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/e864444f-44d5-4206-a848-dcd6972594931033.mspx

However, if you are looking for a pre/post dial terminal window, well..you don't quite have the option of pre or post, but there is an option for a terminal window here:

Link to the Screenshot

Just not sure if it is pre or post, but pretty sure it is pre. The big thing I am going to miss about hyperterminal is that it was used for SNR testing, etc. Not sure if there is another way to do that, but looking into it.

s3tTz Reply with quote

PostPosted: 08-14-2007 10:23 PM    Post subject:
I just (finally) completed my training for Windows Vista. Apparently, you can test an initialization string by clicking on "Query modem" in the Diagnostics tab, after entering the string.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a Windows Vista machine to test this. Can somebody confirm this for me please?

Modem String testing? View previous topic :: View next topic
 Page 1 of 1