Registry Error Fix ModemHelp.Net Recommends: Click here to run a Free driver update scan

Forums.ModemHelp.Net 
     RegisterRegister  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in    
Forums.ModemHelp.Net Forum Index » Windows Issues This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Internet Explorer ActiveX Problems View previous topic :: View next topic
 Page 4 of 5   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   

The Tech Group Reply with quote

PostPosted: 10-25-2004 05:19 PM    Post subject: Hollyecho Montgomery (F1 Notepad Error)
Holly,

What happens when u hit the F1 while no programs are running?
Just viewing the desktop?
You are getting an activex error message?

Jim Reply with quote

PostPosted: 11-03-2004 09:38 AM    Post subject:
I'm running Windows 2003 Server.

I've changed my IE security settings so that the following message is no longer displayed. "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly". However, the ActiveX controls still are not visable in the IE browser.

Any ideas on how to solve this for Windows 2003 Server? Will the solution posted by Tech Group work for Windows 2003 Server?

PostPosted: 11-03-2004 06:13 PM    Post subject: Jim (2003 Server)
Jim..

The process that I explained above does

APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition
• Microsoft Windows Server 2003 64-bit Enterprise Edition
• Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition
• Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition
• Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition
• Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Web Edition
• Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition
• Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
• Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
• Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
• Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition
• Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
• Microsoft Windows Update, when used with:
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Standard Edition
Microsoft Windows 2000 Standard Edition

Hope that helps..

Later )

Brandi Reply with quote

PostPosted: 11-09-2004 10:25 AM    Post subject: AHHHHHHH
I have tried EVERYTHING on this thread.... I get the stupid yellow bar saying Internet Explorer has restricted this file from showing active content yadda yadda. Sometimes I can click it and tell it to allow content. Other times I do that and it still doesn't allow me to see the site right. For a while I didn't care but now it won't let me see my AOL mail (I don't use AOL on my computer but I do get mail there so I'm checking it on the web).

I don't know what to do!!! My computer won't even reformat! I put the disk in and it used to just know what to do... now it won't open the disk because it doesn't know what to open it with. I have been having this problem ever since I got an AIM worm/trojan thing... but that is suposebly fixed... and symantec thing found and got rid of the backdoor. BUT now I can't check my frieking e-mail!

HELP ME!!!

PostPosted: 11-09-2004 03:41 PM    Post subject: Brandi (AHHHHHHH )
Brandi

What is your OS? and what service pack is it?

PostPosted: 11-09-2004 03:45 PM    Post subject: Brandi (AHHHHHHH )
You might want to check this KB out to see if this is the error message you are getting?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/843017

CYA

PostPosted: 11-09-2004 03:51 PM    Post subject: Brandi (AHHHHHHH )
More Info from Dell's Tech site:

What Is the Internet Explorer Information Bar and How Do I Use it?

Overview

Internet Explorer displays an Information Bar, just below the address bar, where you can see information about downloads, blocked pop-up windows, and other activities that have been blocked.

Web Site Activities Blocked

Why the Information Bar Notifies You

How to use the Information Bar

Messages Displayed in the Information Bar

How to turn off the Information Bar

Click the links above for detailed instructions.

Additional Information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Web Site Activities Blocked

To provide extra security while you are browsing Web sites, the following are blocked and a message is placed in the Information Bar:

When a Web site tries to install an ActiveX control on your computer.

When a Web site tries to open a pop-up window.

When a Web site tries to download a file to your computer.

When a Web site tries to run active content on your computer.

When a Web site tries to run an ActiveX control on your computer in an unsafe manner.

Return to Overview

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why the Information Bar Notifies You

The Information Bar notifies you so that you are aware when Internet Explorer blocks items such as:

ActiveX controls or active content on a Web page.
If ActiveX controls or active content is blocked, the rest of a Web page will open. This will allow you to verify the Web page works without the control or active content. For most Web pages you will not notice any difference and your computer is less vulnerable when you don't install unneeded controls.

A Web site downloading a file to your computer.
If a Web site tries to download a file to your computer you have the option to allow it to do so using the Information Bar.

Return to Overview

How to use the Information Bar

The Information Bar is easy to use, click the message in the bar when it appears. You will have the option to allow the content on your computer or to view more information about the content being blocked.

Return to Overview

Messages Displayed in the Information Bar

NOTE: For online safety tips refer to: Microsoft Security for Home Users

To help protect your security, Internet Explorer stopped this site from installing an ActiveX control on your computer. Click here for options…

This message appears when a Web page tries to install an ActiveX control on your computer. For most Web pages you will not notice any difference and your computer is less vulnerable when you don't install unneeded controls. Before installing an ActiveX control on your computer, verify that the publisher is one that can be trusted.

To help protect your security, Internet Explorer blocked this site from downloading files to your computer. Click here for options…

This message appears when a Web page tries to download one or more files that you might not have specifically requested. By blocking the files and loading the Web page, Internet Explorer allows you to verify that the file is needed in order for the Web page to function properly. If you feel you need the blocked file, make certain that you trust the file and the publisher of the file before downloading it.

Your security settings do not allow Web sites to use ActiveX controls installed on your computer. This page may not display correctly. Click here for options…

If an ActiveX control or script tries to run from a Web page and your Security settings are set high, you may receive this message. ActiveX controls can be harmful to your computer. It is recommended to verify that the publisher of the control is one you can trust before allowing it to be installed on your computer.
If you are unsure about allowing the control to run on your computer, click the Information Bar and click What's the risk? for more information about ActiveX controls.
You must be an Administrator in order to change the ActiveX controls settings in Internet Explorer.

Internet Explorer has blocked this site from using an ActiveX control in an unsafe manner. As a result this page may not display correctly.

When a Web site attempts to access an ActiveX control on your computer without your knowledge, you will see this message in the Information Bar. The Web page is made available but without the control running. This allows you to verify if the page will still function properly without the control.
It is not recommended that you try to allow the control to run, as it could cause problems on your computer.

To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this file from showing active content that could access your computer. Click here for options...

When a Web page attempts to run a script or ActiveX control on your computer this message is shown. The Web page is made available but without the script or control running. This allows you to verify if the page will still function properly without the script or control.
ActiveX controls can be hazardous to your computer and it is recommended to verify that the publisher of the control is one you can trust before allowing it to be installed on your computer.
If you are unsure about allowing the control to run on your computer click the Information Bar and click What's the risk? for more information about ActiveX controls.
If you feel you need the blocked script or control, make certain that you trust the publisher before allowing it to access your computer.

This content might not be displayed properly. The file was restricted because the content doesn't match its security information. Click here for options...

By blocking the file and loading the Web page, Internet Explorer allows you to verify that the file is needed in order for the Web page to function properly. Verify that the file the Web site is trying to install on your computer is safe before allowing it to continue.

This site might require the following ActiveX control: name of control From: publisher of control Click here to install...

If an ActiveX control with a valid digital signature attempts to install itself on your computer from a Web page you will see this message. The Web page is made available but without the control running. This allows you to verify if the page will still function properly without the control.
ActiveX controls can be hazardous to your computer and it is recommended to verify that the publisher of the control is one you can trust before allowing it to be installed on your computer.
If you are unsure about allowing the control to run on your computer click the Information Bar and click What's the risk? for more information about ActiveX controls.
If you feel you need the blocked control, make certain that you trust the publisher before allowing it to access your computer.

Return to Overview

How to turn off the Information Bar

It is not recommended that you turn the Information Bar off, if you do want to turn it off, you will have to turn it off for each type of message.

Turn off Information Bar messages about blocked pop-up windows

Open Internet Explorer.

Click Tools on the menu bar.

Click Pop-up Blocker.

Click Pop-up Blocker Settings.

Click to uncheck the Show Information Bar when a pop-up is blocked. check box.

Click the Close button.

You will no longer receive messages in the Information Bar when a pop-up is blocked.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Turn off the Information Bar for file downloads

This procedure will allow Web sites to automatically prompt you when downloading files, bypassing the Information Bar.

Open Internet Explorer.

Click Internet Options...
The Internet Options window appears.

Click the Security tab.

Click the Custom Level... button.
The Security Settings window appears.

Scroll down to Downloads in the Settings: list.

Click to select Enable under Automatic prompting for file downloads.

Click the OK button.
A Warning! message appears.

Click the Yes button to change the security settings for the zone.

Click the OK button.

You will now receive prompts directly from a Web site if it needs to download a file to your computer.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Turn off the Information Bar for ActiveX controls

This procedure will allow Web sites to automatically prompt you when downloading software, bypassing the Information Bar.

Open Internet Explorer.

Click Internet Options...
The Internet Options window appears.

Click the Security tab.

Click the Custom Level... button.
The Security Settings window appears.

Locate ActiveX controls and plug-ins in the Settings: list.

Click to select Enable under Automatic prompting for ActiveX controls.

Click the OK button.
A Warning! message appears.

Click the Yes button to change the security settings for the zone.

Click the OK button.

You will now receive prompts directly from a Web site if it needs to download software to your computer.

PostPosted: 11-09-2004 03:54 PM    Post subject: Brandi (AHHHHHHH )
This should point you in the right direction.

If not other then corruption to your OS due to that virus.

CYA

Brandi Reply with quote

PostPosted: 11-09-2004 11:45 PM    Post subject: Still... AHHHHH
Everyone keeps telling me to adjust the security settings... I do that over and over again and again and check to see that its set to allow and hasn't changed itself.

I'm running XP on an HP laptop.

If there is corruption how do I fix it when my computer can't read the reformat disk?!

=o(

Thanks for your help...

Brandi Reply with quote

PostPosted: 11-10-2004 04:09 PM    Post subject: what the heck!
I DLed Mozilla Firefox.... and could finally check my aol e-mail. BUT then I went to work and came back to find that for somereason I can't anymore. It does the same thing that IE was doing but with out the little information bar crap.

I don't get it!!!!!

=o(

Hondan Reply with quote

PostPosted: 11-17-2004 11:27 AM    Post subject: activeX not functioning in windows explorer
I have a machine with a similar problem... However, as far as I know, the IE on this machine is working fine. But, whenever I want to view any folders or files within explorer (ie. My computer, My docuiments etc.) I get the "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page..." error, and as a result, the explorer window displays a blank page, where no files or folders are displayed. However, in the status bar, I was able to see the number of objects, total size etc. Also, when I boot in to safe mode, the windows explorer works fine, and I was able to see all of the files and folders. I have unregistered and re-registered all of the DLLs and activeX controls described in this thread, and I also ran the System File Checker on this machine, but nothing seemed to help.

I am suspecting that there is an error(s) within the registry. Maybe one or few of the ActiveX controls has its kill bit set to on. However, I am not sure which registry key to edit, and I don't want to mess with the wrong key.

This system is running on Windows 2000 Pro SP4 / IE 6.0 with all patches applied. The system was infected with a trojan horse, but it was removed soon after the infection. No other viruses or spyware has been detected.

Please let me know if you can help. Thanks a bunch.

PostPosted: 11-18-2004 12:41 PM    Post subject: Hondan
Hondan not sure what trojan u had?
Check the registry to see these areas

Key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\
Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
Values:
RestrictRun
NoChangeStartMenu
NoClose
NoDrives
NoDriveTypeAutoRun
NoFavoritesMenu
NoFileMenu
NoFind
NoFolderOptions
NoInternetIcon
NoRecentDocsMenu
NoLogOff
NoRun
NoSetActiveDesktop
NoSetFolders
NoSetTaskbar
NoWindowsUpdate
Nodesktop
NoViewContextMenu
NoNetHooD
NoEntioeNetwork
NoWorkgroupContents
NoSaveSettings

Key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\
Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
Values:
DisableRegistryTools
NoConfigPage
NoDevMgrPage
NoDispAppearancePage
NoDispScrSavPage
NoDispBackgroundPage
NoDispSettingsPage
NoFileSysPage
NoVirtMemPage

These are some affects of the trojan to the registry.
For the most part these two sections shouldnot have any "no" resttictions.

One of these might be your problem

CYA'S

Guest Reply with quote

PostPosted: 11-19-2004 01:02 AM    Post subject:
Hondan

"""activeX not functioning in windows explorer"""

You don't want ActiveX functioning in windows explorer.
Check the default Folder Action for explorer.exe The virus or worm changed it or created a new value for it.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open.htm
http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=172779
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Q_20950401.html

Hondan Reply with quote

PostPosted: 11-29-2004 09:30 AM    Post subject: Thank you
Thank you for all of your help, but I ended up reinstalling the OS on this machine, I think the damage to the registry was too severe... Thanks again for all of your help!

Bill Reply with quote

PostPosted: 01-07-2005 10:17 PM    Post subject:
Just found the problem with mine, I was using a proxy server. Once I disabled the proxy, then all ActiveX controls became visible...

Mike Reply with quote

PostPosted: 01-08-2005 03:15 AM    Post subject: IE Errors
My friend has a problem with his IE. He can type in any web site he wants to, and it works. But as soon as he tries to click on anything with his mouse IE closes down and says an error has occured IE must close. I have not been over there yet, but any ideas?

Guest Reply with quote

PostPosted: 01-08-2005 03:41 AM    Post subject:
Use the Event Log Viewer to check for error details.

Check the system for spyware and malware.

Bea Reply with quote

PostPosted: 01-11-2005 11:13 AM    Post subject:
I was having the same problem and tried to run the commands posted by tech group. after finishing all the commands and restarting the computer, a symantec message pops up saying htat my settings are unstable and that i need to restore my old settings and restart the computer. what do i do?

Darryl Reply with quote

PostPosted: 01-11-2005 06:40 PM    Post subject:
I had all the problems with the Activex described in this thread on my XP computer.. The problem appeared when trying to install Macromedia Flash. Was finally successful in downloading latest version of Flash to HD.

Uninstalled the previous version by downloading the unloader - then installed the latest version. Eureka. ActiveX is not a problem anymore.

Can now watch video on MSNBC which I could not do before.

meex Reply with quote

PostPosted: 01-20-2005 09:34 AM    Post subject:
TECH GROUP

Having the same problem, i have tried your solution above.
All is well until i get to the line with sccbase.. i then get a message file does not exist

Internet Explorer ActiveX Problems View previous topic :: View next topic
 Page 4 of 5   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next