Registry Error Fix ModemHelp.Net Recommends: Click here to run a Free driver update scan

Forums.ModemHelp.Net 
     RegisterRegister  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in    
Forums.ModemHelp.Net Forum Index » DSL Support This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Losing connection (NOT disconnect) View previous topic :: View next topic
 Page 1 of 1      

Lard Reply with quote

PostPosted: 05-14-2004 06:34 PM    Post subject: Losing connection (NOT disconnect)
I am having the same problem as described in this thread:
http://www.modemhelp.net/vblite/showthread.php3?threadid=1351

That thread is old and has gotten off topic. I am starting it fresh here and leave the above link as a reference.

Greetings...

I have two external USR modems (56k & 33.6k). I am recently having trouble with my ISP PacBell. It will connect fine, that part is not surprising, the connection will work for anywhere from 1 minutes to several hours at a time, and then things will just stop. Everything says I'm connected fine, but:
- web browsing connections show "Cannot find server"
- Instant messaging clients either "lag" or drop off
- Telnet connections show "Connection lost" and then "Unable to locate server"
- Mail clients show "unable to locate server"

Etc etc etc., for all intents and purposes it's as if I've been disconnected. Some of the telnet and instant messaging processes will continue to stay connected, but lag horribly - on the order of 5+ minutes between typing and the other party seeing it (or the telnet process echoing it).

Forcing the modem to disconnect and then redial and reconnect clears it up - for another few minutes/hours.

This most often seems to appear when I'm doing a lot with my connection - opening several web pages full of content, doing a large download while also browsing webpages, and/or running several telnet windows, etc.

I do not have call waiting on my phone line. The only device on the line is the modem, no telephones or other devices, or even any other jacks. I've replaced the wiring from the inside wiring point to the wall plate jack. I replaced the cheap-looking serial cable (the one that came with the modem) with a new Belkin cable I just purchased today. I've had my computer reformatted and re-set-up with Win98se & Win XP Pro (dual boot), and ensured I have the latest drivers and firmware for the modem / Motherboard. I've tried my brothers generic 56K internal in my PC on the same phone line on the same ISP, in the same manner as above (with regards to the heavy use), and it works just fine.

I'm using an ASUS A7N8X-X m/b (NForce2) with an AMD 2500+ AthlonXP. The modem is hooked up to COM1, on standard port addresses and an IRQ (4) which is not shared with anything else. Port speed and modem speed have been synchronized (to 57600). The port/modem/connection has been configured for hardware flow control.

On the "Dialup Status" screen, when things go sour, I see the byte counts, and below that is Compression %, with "Sent" always having much more compression than "received", and "Errors" shows 0 for sent, and any number between 1 and 500 for received.

Forcing Software flow control instead of hardware allows me to stay connected, but gives me lots of packetloss and more errors.

If you have the same problem, please add your information so we can figure this out. Include your symptoms, (this is not a thread for disconnect problems). Don't forget to tell us what your hardware is, such as motherboard chipset (ie: Nforce2). I dont think the OS should matter as I have the exact same problem on Win98se & Win XP.

If you can help, please e-mail me something since I'm about to start pulling my hair out! (not good since I'm already going bald)

Les Reply with quote

PostPosted: 05-29-2004 04:24 PM    Post subject:
I'm having the same trouble with my Wanadoo broadband connection, it might stay connected for 10-15 seconds, then both green lights switch off and the connection is lost, although the speedtouch connection still shows that it is connected. I contacted Wanadoo, then it worked OK for five days, now it has gone back to how it was before. I'm using my dial up connection to access the net now, as the broadband is too unreliable.

jasnick Reply with quote

PostPosted: 05-31-2004 03:24 AM    Post subject:
I am having the same problem. Had the computer in the shop for 10 days, they told me I needed a new modem (I really didn't think so) but got one anyway and now the same thing is happening with the new modem. I connect, but cannot browse. Sometimes if I disconnect and re-connect immediately, everything is fine and I can browse for hours. Lately in the middle of a browsing session it will stop and I cannot get to any site even though I am still connected. I had the C drive re-formatted and everything installed fresh.

I am running Windows98SE, have a very clean computer (no spyware etc) the new modem is a D-Link DFM-562E V92. I have emailed them but have not had a reply yet. This is an intermittent problem that has been going on ever since I had a computer upgrade last October. Before that, I never even had a line drop out. Today I had to re-install the modem just to get online. Hope someone has some answers. It seems a pretty specific problem. Surely someone has run across it before.

jasnick Reply with quote

PostPosted: 05-31-2004 03:31 AM    Post subject:
Frogot to mention the chipset is CONEXTANT.

SuperJoker Reply with quote

PostPosted: 05-01-2005 10:59 AM    Post subject:
Hello, I am having the same problem here! did you fix yours? if so, can you e-mail some information to fix this, plz help! my e-mail adress is beachdude066@hotmail.com thanx in advance!

jamaica Reply with quote

PostPosted: 05-02-2005 01:30 PM    Post subject:
look above: this is DSL Support, not 56k Confused

SuperJoker Reply with quote

PostPosted: 05-02-2005 08:11 PM    Post subject: dsl; losing connection
Well, I am having problem with my DSL alcatel speedtouch pro modem....It is pissing me off, can anyone help? information about the problem is described above allready!

jamaica Reply with quote

PostPosted: 05-03-2005 09:06 AM    Post subject: Re: dsl; losing connection
SuperJoker wrote:
Well, I am having problem with my DSL alcatel speedtouch pro modem....It is pissing me off, can anyone help? information about the problem is described above allready!

there are reported problems with the alcatel speedtouch pro in some newer ADSL DSLAM's.

ISP's are informing their customers to upgrade to the latest firmware, so go go go Wink

Losing connection (NOT disconnect) View previous topic :: View next topic
 Page 1 of 1