Registry Error Fix ModemHelp.Net Recommends: Click here to run a Free driver update scan

Forums.ModemHelp.Net 
     RegisterRegister  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in    
Forums.ModemHelp.Net Forum Index » Windows Issues This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Having 'General Windows Issues?' Check in here... View previous topic :: View next topic
 Page 1 of 3   Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next   

Chris Reply with quote

PostPosted: 10-27-2005 08:57 AM    Post subject: Having 'General Windows Issues?' Check in here...
Surprisingly (or maybe not so much), a big percentage of the calls I get concerning "General Windows Issues" are directly related to the machine having been ill taken care of.

By this I specifically mean not doing regular maitenance and keeping it clean from Virii and/or Adware/Spyware. And most people don't even realize these things need to be done! So in response to all this, I'm making a post in hopes that it'll help someone (besides, isn't that why we're all at modemhelp in the first place? Smile )

So here's two helpful starting points; 1. A list of great links to helpful software and 2. A PC Maitenance guide I put together not too long ago.
Hope this helps you all out. Please, feel free to let me know if you disagree or have an update/change you feel should be made. I'll consider making it Laughing

Anti-Virus
Avast Anti-Virus
Grisoft's AVG Free
ClamAV
AntiVir aka free-av
...all of which are free to use and free to update.

Anti-Adware/Spyware
Ad-Aware
Spyware Blaster
Microsoft Anti-Spyware (you need to be a validated windows user to use this)
Spybot Search-and-Destroy

Other Userful Software
Mozilla Firefox -- strong web browser, good solution for avoiding popups.
Mozilla Thunderbird --- Great E-mail Client
HiJack-This -- Very powerful 'junk' remover tool, but also can be very dangerous if you're not careful. Advanced users only, or seek advice before using.

==========================
Chris's General PC Maintenance Guide

# Basic Maintenance:

1. Disk Clean-up
2. Disk Defragmenter
3. Windows Update

# Intermediate Maintenance:

1. Startup
2. MSconfig
3. Add/Remove Programs

# Advanced Maintenance:

1. Desktop
2. Files
3. Simple Speed Tweaks

So you have had your computer now for several months (years, whatever). It worked fine for a while, but now it is so slow! (...locks up. won't shut down, etc.) What can you do to keep it running like new? Maintenance! Here is how:

Computers run optimally when all of their parts (hardware and software) are functioning well. When one part slows down, it effects the whole machine. The most critical parts for speed are the RAM, processor, and the hard disk. While the processor is more-or-less maintenance free, the hard drive and RAM can get bogged down with cluttered programs and files that effect performance greatly.

Here are some basic maintenance steps that should be performed on your machine at least every 3-6 months:

I. Basic Maintenance: These are easy and necessary maintenance steps.

Go to "Start"->"Programs"->"Accessories". You should see a folder that says "System Tools". In this folder are several simple tools, provided by Microsoft, for maintaining your computer system.

1. Disk Clean-up:

Use this to "clean-up" temporary files on your machine that are no longer needed. When run, this program will ask you which drive you would like to scan, chose "C:". It will then scan your system and give you a list of types of files and locations to clean up. The important ones will be checked. Just hit "OK".

Keeping a clean hard drive is very important. It reduces file fragmentation and leaves more space for virtual memory, the memory that Windows uses when RAM gets full.

2. Disk Defragmenter:

This program looks a little different depending on whether you are using Windows 2000/XP, or Windows 95/98/ME but it does the same thing, repair fragmented files.

Fragmented files are simply files that Windows has chosen to "break-up" into two or more parts on the hard drive because it was convenient to do so. This does not effect your files in any way, they are still "whole", but stored in separate pieces on the hard drive. When these files become abundant, the system becomes very slow since the drive is constantly managing multiple areas of its surface to access the files. This sounds complicated, but it is easy to maintain and VERY important.

To "defragment", simply run this program and choose the drive you would like to defragment. In this case "C:". Next hit "defragment". If the drive does not need to be defragmented windows will tell you. Otherwise the drive will be defragmented.

A disk defragment can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours. It depends on the speed of the machine, size of the drive, and amount of fragmentation. Usually you will want to start this and leave it during the day while you are at work, or at night while you sleep. You may need to disable your screen saver, as it can interrupt the defrag. Just right click somewhere on the desktop and chose "properties". Go to the "screen saver" tab, and choose "none". If you are concerned about your monitor, turn it off.

3. Windows Update

When Microsoft releases a piece of software (Windows, Internet Explorer, Outlook, etcÉ) they frequently release a series of patches to correct security holes and bugs found after the program has been released to the public. Sometimes applying these patches and fixes can be very important, as in the case of the "Slammer" virus that took advantage of a security hole in Microsoft server software that had been fixed by a patch months earlier. The damage was extensive because many system administrators had not yet bothered to download and run the patch. Updates can also include performance upgrades and additional useful features.

Windows (and other Microsoft) patches can be downloaded and installed automatically using "Windows Update". In most cases, simply go to your "Start" menu and choose it from the top of the list. If you are using a newer version of Internet Explorer, go to the "tools" menu and choose "Windows Update". Click it and download the software you need. It is a good idea to try to install all the critical updates, and to check back monthly for new updates.

Anyone who owns a PC should become familiar with these simple utilities and use them frequently.

II. Intermediate Maintenance: These are easy maintenance steps I highly recommend. It will help if you are familiar with the programs you use on your machine and/or devices you connect to it (like palm pilots, or digital cameras).

When Windows starts up, there may be many unnecessary programs configured to load into your RAM that you aren't even aware of. Programs you install will frequently configure Windows to load their software automatically when you start. This is true of all software, but especially of intrusive advertising software and other annoying programs. There are simple ways of dealing with this that can greatly improve start-up speed and overall performance.

1. Startup:

If you are running Windows 95/98/ME: (If you aren't sure, right click on "My Computer" on the desktop and choose "properties")

You will want to double click "My Computer" and choose "Windows". In the "Windows" folder pick the "Start Menu" folder, then "Programs" and "Start Up". In this start up folder, there will be shortcuts to programs. None of these programs need to be running for windows to work properly. I would recommend removing them all. The only danger in removing these shortcuts is that a device that connects to your computer such as a digital camera, palm pilot, external video capture, etc. may rely on the program to communicate with the PC. If you are unsure you can leave these shortcuts and skip to number 2.

If you are using Windows XP/2000: (If you aren't sure, right click on "My Computer" on the desktop and choose "properties")

You will want to double click "My Computer" and choose "Documents and Settings". In this folder pick the "All Users" folder, then "Start Menu", then "Programs" and "Start Up". In this start up folder, there will be shortcuts to programs. None of these programs need to be running for windows to work properly. I would recommend removing them all. The only danger in removing these shortcuts is that a device that connects to your computer such as a digital camera, palm pilot, external video capture, etc. may rely on the program to communicate with the PC. If you are unsure you can leave these shortcuts and skip to number 2. You will want to check the other users on the machine as well. Go back to where you picked "All Users", and do the same for any other users on the machine.

2. MSconfig:

This is a program for configuring Windows. You can use it to toggle on and off, programs that run when you start your computer. This utility is not available in Windows 2000.

Go to the "Start" menu and choose "Run". Type in "msconfig". The "System Configuration Utility" will start. Choose "Selective Startup" and then click the "Startup" tab. This will show you a list of programs that run EVERY time you start you machine. I would recommend unchecking all of them except for "systray", "taskmon" and "scanreg". Hit "Ok". You will be asked to reboot your system, hit "Ok"

You do not need any of these programs for windows to function properly, except the ones mentioned above. The only dangers you may face doing this are again, disabling software for communication with external devices, and possibly interrupting automatic virus scanning. Do not worry about this. If you find that you need any of the programs enabled again, simply return to msconfig and recheck them.

When your system reboots it will tell you that you are using selective startup, which is a diagnostic mode. Check "Don't show this message again" and hit "Ok". You may find that your performance is greatly improved.

3. Add/Remove Programs:

To free additional space on your hard drive, I recommend uninstalling programs that you no longer use. To do this:

Go to "Start" menu and choose "Settings" and "Control Panel". In the control panel you will see "Add/Remove Programs". Double click this and you will get a list of programs that are currently installed on your system. Browse this list and make note of any programs that you no longer need or are unfamiliar with. To remove a program, choose "remove".

If you are unsure whether you need a certain program, you can feel free to leave it, but you shouldn't be afraid to uninstall it. If you keep software you received with your system, and know which programs you have intentionally downloaded and installed on your machine, you can always replace the program that you have uninstalled. It is easy to forget all the things you have installed on your computer, so it is a good idea to look in Add/Remove Programs every so often and keep it cleaned up.

III Advanced Maintenance: If you are not bored with this document by now and are feeling adventurous, here are some easy ways to free up drive space and tweak your system performance.

1. Desktop

It is a particularly bad idea to keep large files or folders on the desktop, esp. in Windows XP/2000. These files will often be duplicated in the administrator and all-user profiles and will take up 2-3 times as much space. Instead, put these files on C: drive in a folder of your choosing, or in "My Documents". It is also a good idea to keep the desktop clean in Windows 95/98/ME as this is a frequently accessed space.

2. Files

Disk clean up will not always get rid of all temp files. Do a search for "temp" or *.tmp. Always use caution when deleting unfamiliar files, but any files in temp folders or with the .tmp extension should be safe to simply remove. Sometimes this can free up a lot of space.

Pay special attention to Outlook and Internet Explorer. IE will let you delete temporary Internet files, cookies, and history. Go to "tools" and "Internet Options" to do this. Cookies and History won't free up much space, but they can reduce clutter. Keep in mind if you clear cookies that you may lose settings such as your user profiles at web pages you like to visit, so you may want to skip it.

Outlook can take up lots of space on your machine. Be sure to find any temporary files associated with it and delete them. Also make sure to clean out your inbox of any unwanted mail messages, esp. if they have attachments. This may clear up a lot of space.

I also recommend doing a search for large files. Choose "Start" menu, "search". Choose "All files and folders", look in "Local Hard Drives" or "C:", size is "greater than" 5000K (may need to choose "advanced"), and search. If you have a lot of mp3s you may want to set the size a little larger, like 6000K-100000K so they don't come up on the search. Do the search and make note of the files that come up. These files will be the largest ones on your system. Any files like movies or demos that you don't want just delete.

3. Simple Speed Tweaks:

If you are using Windows 95/98/ME: Right click on "My Computer" and go to "Properties". Choose "Performance" and click "File System". To optimize your Internet speed, choose "Server", to optimize for applications choose "Desktop".

Go to where you picked "File System" and choose "Virtual Memory". You can set your paging size to a consistent amount so it is easier for windows to work with. Choose "Let me specify my own virtual memory settings" and set the minimum and maximum to the same amount. Make this amount a multiple of your physical RAM. Example: You have 64M of RAM on your system. Set the paging file to 1x64=64; 2x64=128; 3x64=192; 4x64=256, etc. Try out some different sizes and pay attention to the sound of the hard drive and the speed of your windows. If it sounds like a smooth, easy, buzz when accessing the hard drive this is good, it shouldn't be slow and choppy. Pick the size that seems to yield the best performance. You may want to set the size smaller if you don't have much free hard drive space. (For Windows 2000/XP do the same but choose "Properties", "Advanced", "Performance", "Settings", "Advanced", and under "Virtual Memory", "Change".)

The last easy tweak I have is strictly for Internet speed. Go to "Start" menu, "Settings", "Control Panel". Pick "System" and choose "Device Manager". Go to "Modems" and select your modem. Right-click and choose, "Properties". Set your port speed to the maximum if it is not already. You may see a speed increase. If your modem will not connect or is slow/intermittent, lower the port speed again.

You are now ready to keep your machine lean-and-mean and functioning well for years! Remember it is important to consider PC maintenance every few months. Please refer to this document and don't be afraid to look for additional up-to-date info on the web.

For free/shareware software (Mac and PC) such as system utilities, spam and pop-up killers, as well as ad removers and virus scanners; visit http://www.download.com

Good luck and happy computing!

I werk Here
-:[Chris]:-

Thomas E Reply with quote

PostPosted: 01-14-2007 12:57 AM    Post subject: Chris's Helpful Notes
I just want to say thank you to Chris for all the good information. I tried what you suggested about cleaning up or clearing up my PC. I have Windows XP. I went to misconfig, selective start-up, cliked start up tab and was going to uncheck everything you said except for three you said to leave, but wouldn't you just know it, my list don't show those three. What's a feller to do? As they say, the ball is in your court!

Thomas E

TechnoFreak Reply with quote

PostPosted: 02-26-2007 03:28 AM    Post subject: Re: Chris's Helpful Notes
[quote="Thomas E"]I just want to say thank you to Chris for all the good information. I tried what you suggested about cleaning up or clearing up my PC. I have Windows XP. I went to misconfig, selective start-up, cliked start up tab and was going to uncheck everything you said except for three you said to leave, but wouldn't you just know it, my list don't show those three. What's a feller to do? As they say, the ball is in your court!

Thomas E[/quote]

Hey there... just a suggestion... once you get to the system configuration utility (msconfig) and go to the startup tab... you might want to go online and visit www.sysinfo.org and run a search for the items in your startup list. This should give you an idea which you could disable and which needs to remain active.

Hope this helps!

scor_piano Reply with quote

PostPosted: 06-26-2007 10:15 PM    Post subject: Re: Having 'General Windows Issues?' Check in here...
That cool Info dude thanks a ton......
would help the people who think computer maintenence is a geek term.....please also give some info on the request i have posted under general windows issue.....

hezixixi2009 Reply with quote

PostPosted: 05-31-2009 01:22 PM    Post subject: Longines
Longines replica watches is a luxury watch company founded by Ernest Francillon at Saint-Imier, Switzerland. Its origins can be traced back to the 1830s and it currently holds the oldest registered logo for a watch company Longines replica watches is currently owned by the Swatch Group.

pvdkerk Reply with quote

PostPosted: 06-25-2009 07:44 AM    Post subject:
Very usefull info. Thx a lot! Razz

To watch TV on a windows PC you can try this top TV station list.

mnop935 Reply with quote

PostPosted: 08-26-2009 03:06 AM    Post subject: maxltd
Here is a nike air max tn. Step into the future of comfort with the Nike Air Max 95 cushioning system. The best Nike Air max Ltd cushioning hits the road as theNike Air Rift legacy continues. Full lacing system allows for an anatomical fit across the top of the foot. Simple one-piece inner sleeve construction provides a dynamic-fitting upper. For the runner who desires Nike air max technology and loves the cushioning, ride, and the responsiveness it provides.

The brutal, repetitive, downward force of sport can wreak havoc on the body - and on performance. Air Max cushioning is specifically engineered to handle these impacts and provide protection. Nike air max 90 is big air designed to take a pounding.

It's great and comfortable using for running and walking, Please see the pictures for more details. They are the model in the picture.

giantmonster Reply with quote

PostPosted: 11-18-2009 04:53 AM    Post subject: Re:
Thanks for this very valuable information.Its important to maintain your PC with great care.A simple mistake or carelessness will cause a lot of difficulties.

mnop935 Reply with quote

PostPosted: 12-25-2009 09:47 PM    Post subject: A new guy
A new guy in town walks into a bar and reads a sign that hangs over the bar: FREE BEER FOR THE PERSON WHO CAN PASS THE TEST! So the guy asks the bartender what the test is. Nike air max ltd Bartender: "Well, FIRST you have to drink that whole gallon of pepper tequila, the WHOLE thing at once AND, you can`t make a face while doing it. SECOND, there`s a `gator out back with a sore tooth...you have to remove it with your bare hands. THIRD, there`s a woman up-stairs who`s never had an orgasm.cheap Nike air max ltd You gotta make things right for her. Man: Well, as much as I would love free beer, I won`t do it. You have to be nuts to drink a gallon of pepper tequila and the requirements get crazier from there. Well, as time goes on and the man drinks a few, he asks, "Wherez zat teeqeelah?" He grabs the gallon of tequilla with both hands, and downs it with a big slurp and tears streaming down his face.Nike airmax ltd Next he staggers out back and soon all the people inside hear the most frightening roaring and thumping, then silence. The man staggers back into the bar, his shirt ripped and big scratches all over his body. "Now" he says "Where`s that woman with the sore tooth?" Nike air max ltd men

mnop935 Reply with quote

PostPosted: 01-27-2010 04:26 PM    Post subject: The Thirsty Pigeon
A PIGEON,nike dunk sb oppressed by excessive thirst,nike air shox r4 saw a goblet of water painted on a signboard. buy cheap trainers nike sho0x nz Not supposing it to be only a picture, she flew towards it with a loud whir and unwittingly dashed against the signboard, jarring herself terribly. Having broken her wings by the blow,Nike Air Classic BW 91 she fell to the ground, and was caught by one of the bystanders.

Zeal should not outrun discretion.

mnop935 Reply with quote

PostPosted: 02-24-2010 01:55 AM    Post subject: A man is in a hotel lobby
A man is in a hotel lobby. He wants to ask the clerk a question. As he turns to go to the front desk, he accidentally bumps into a woman beside him and as he does, his elbow goes into her breast.
They are both quite startled. The man turns to her and says, "Ma'am, if your heart is as soft as your breast, I know you'll forgive me."
She replies, "If your penis is as hard as your elbow, I'm in room 436."

This post works as a $10.00 discount coupon for any purchase of a 2nd pair of shoes, just quote coupon codeGREATGRANT10, when checking out the shopping cart and it will give you $10.00 back straight away!

Nike shox nz
Nike air max ltd
Nike air max 90
Nike shox R4

mnop935 Reply with quote

PostPosted: 07-13-2010 12:17 PM    Post subject: Romantic text messages, emotional words
You know my loneliness is only kept for you, my sweet songs are only sung for you. If
living on the earth is a mission from the lord… living with you is the award of the lord…

Do you understand the feeling of missing someone? It is just like that you will spend a long
hard time to turn the ice-cold water you have drunk into tears.

In such a soft and warm season, please accept my sincere blessing and deep concern for you.
For our ever-lasting friendship, send sincere blessings and warm greetings to my friends whom I miss so much.

It is graceful grief and sweet sadness to think of you, but in my heart, there is a kind of soft warmth that can’t be expressed with any choice of words.

You and I remains the same in different time, at different places,among different people; time is changing, space is changing and everything is changing except my miss to you!

Coffee is lonely without cups. I am lonely without you.

My heart beats for you every day. I am inspired by you every minute, and I worry about you every second. It is wonderful to have you in my life.

Wish you a happy new year and a good fortune in the coming year when we will share our happiness, think of our good friends, and our dreams come true!

Wish to meet my angle again lovely girl in my dream!

Do you fear a love fool who is loving you so deeply?
nike air max 90,
Nike shox nz,
Nike SHOX R4,
Nike air rift,
Nike SHOX TL3,

shanju2107 Reply with quote

PostPosted: 07-23-2010 08:33 AM    Post subject:
suggesttion are great..........The brutal, repetitive, downward force of sport can wreak havoc on the body - and on performance. Air Max cushioning is specifically engineered to handle these impacts and provide protection. Nike air max 90 is big air designed to take a pounding.

mnop935 Reply with quote

PostPosted: 07-27-2010 04:05 PM    Post subject: Shoes should be worn during exercise
Flat shoes and travel shoes soles, plastic large, flexible, young people run, jump up to a certain buffer, so many young people today like to wear. However, there are many drawbacks wearing a long-term: As the temperature and humidity inside the shoes to improve young people easily become somra foot ligament length, foot becomes wider, over time become a flatfoot.
Sneakers material, mostly of rubber, plastic, sponge, nylon, canvas, etc., ventilation is poor. Khan feet long in this "closed" environment, fungal reproduction and dissemination, occurs ringworm, dermatitis, eczema and other skin diseases. Zhejiang blog network 7 |? Y1 ~? C sports shoes or shoes with flat shoes are a no. It can not guarantee that the body center of gravity evenly distributed in the whole foot, not the body's muscles, ligaments, bones and spine to maintain proper position and work status. Young people wear sports shoes or sneakers to change after the body of gravity, feet uneven distribution of forces there. Feet long in this bad stress environment, will affect the physical development of young people
Should be in your shoes or exercise wear we go!

Nike airmax TN,
nike air max tn ,
cheap air max TN,
cheap nike air max TN,
Nike air max 95 ,

Silver7783 Reply with quote

PostPosted: 12-17-2010 02:17 AM    Post subject:
Hello there. I have Windows XP. Thanks for sharing those useful information.

Marlborggg Reply with quote

PostPosted: 01-03-2011 06:32 PM    Post subject: newport cigarettes
after leaving the arena, Francis opened up his own company, operating in real estate, music, clothing, Internet and other services. If you can come to China to play,newport cigarettes, it's business development for Francis will be of great help. At this point, the idea of Francis and Stephon Marbury had in common.

Although the price point of view, the price for Francis out of the Chinese Basketball Association has gone beyond the provisions of the foreign aid \Yao Ming and Steve Francis for the impact, it is clearly not a problem.
who want to cozy up by the CBA Francis team, this course is very exciting news, because $ 1,000,000 is not an unacceptable price. And from the current situation,

marlboro cigarettes
newport cigarettes wholesale
newport cigarettes
newport cigarettes
[url=/]cigarettes newport[/url]

, the price can be negotiated.

can be expected, Francis CBA if it decided to play his first choice is definitely the Shanghai team. As Lucas's performance in summer league is very eye-catching, he is likely to be signed and the NBA team, and Abbas and Seiler also may not be able to stay in Shanghai team effectiveness. Yao is now the Shanghai team for the new season to worry about foreign aid issues, and Francis thrown open at this time, their social status, is clearly implied something to the Yao.
,newport cigarettes, of course, Francis is third all-star players, after all, to actually invited him, I am afraid the problem in addition to the salary but also spend a lot of thought other, and his salary will not drop how much.

Francis is expected to join the CBA

has information that is currently in New York, Francis Gifted and came on the CBA has expressed a strong interest in playing and dismissed the price tag: $ 1,000,000 a season!
Prior to this,

Cheap Marlboro cigarettes
newport cigarettes
newport cigarettes

, Francis has been repeatedly expressed that he may play at CBA. He and Yao Ming on the phone even when jokingly spoken of this matter. It now appears that Francis had come to China to play away from getting closer.
According to the U.S. broker said Francis, Francis the beginning of the asking price is $ 1,500,000 a season, but because of the special relationship between him and Yao Ming, Francis has lost his own one-third of expected salary .

Yao said in an interview earlier,

marlboro cigarettes
newport cigarettes
newport cigarettes

, if Francis can join the Shanghai team, then certainly for this young team is a huge help. Of course, whether Francis Yao Ming joined the Shanghai addition to the decision of the views of Hua Germany coach is also very important.
you see if the new season,Cheap Newport, the Shanghai team Francis put on the shirt, which also determines it is not surprising. (Milk baby)

ghdstore0n Reply with quote

PostPosted: 01-21-2011 12:47 PM    Post subject: The red-colored ghd hair straightener purple shoc
The red-colored ghd hair straightener purple shock fixed keloid which boiling too much weight experienced still left final thirty days was ugly and glaring.

PostPosted: 02-05-2011 12:09 PM    Post subject: a myriad of other provider of enterprise
a myriad of other provider of enterprise,and making no qualified moncler jackets products to customers have significant protection implications.

PostPosted: 02-13-2011 11:11 AM    Post subject: contrary ugg uk from short to deep that could put
contrary ugg uk from short to deep that could put with one another most women charm.pretty several components.

PostPosted: 02-16-2011 07:33 AM    Post subject: just you completed every one of these actions with
just you completed every one of these actions with GHD Red Lust Styler turbo ceramic a best sarah palin hairstyle is appeared within the mirror.

Having 'General Windows Issues?' Check in here... View previous topic :: View next topic
 Page 1 of 3   Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next